Sunday, December 8, 2013

Not Just A Little Sobering


After being in treatment for acute leukemia since February, I’ve come to realize that there is no real routine to speak of, especially since arriving in at the Puget Sound Veterans’ Health Care System. I can arrive on time at 8:00 a.m., get my blood drawn with all my compadrés, get my IVs running, and get my golden ticket to head back to the hotel only to see the MTU’s number in my caller ID. It could be as innocuous as letting me know about an appointment, changing my dosage on a medication, or having me come back in for something unforeseen. Any way you look at it, I’m on a short leash and it’s just part of the big picture of treatment. Some days a pain, some days a reassurance, but always something of which I have to be conscious…and there really are no days off, even if I don’t have an appointment at the big white building on Beacon Hill.
Med management is, as I’ve said before, an hour-to-hour undertaking and I’m my own best advocate when it comes to my healing. It means being brutally honest in how I’m feeling at the risk of sounding like a hypochondriac and asking a lot of questions.
This week has been a tough one with respect to the details as well as the big picture, but it started with what might otherwise be seen as routine. Because of my lungs, my attending physician has asked that I come in every day rather than Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays (which, incidentally was reinstated as of this morning…see? Everything is always in a state of flux!). Outpatient rounds typically devolve into a quick social call where the entourage of medical folks ask how I’m doing, exchange a few details about the lab results from my blood draw with each other, perhaps adjust medication a bit, and move on to the next patient. It’s pleasant enough and they take all of five minutes, maybe ten if Austin or I have questions we’d like to discuss.
Wednesday was really…really different.
It was a conversation that hit me out of the blue about a topic I’d certainly mulled over in my mind, but that I was having said conversation with my attending physician, the head of the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit, took it out of the realm of academic and into the real.
Without preamble, he pointed out that my pulmonary function test from that morning didn’t show any improvement over the previous week, something I already knew. Where he went with that was not just a little sobering. He pointed out that with any intubation, the likelihood of being extubated successfully becomes smaller. He didn’t want to even offer up any statistics in that my survival from the previous two intubations was seen as pretty remarkable. In fact, he suggested that if I were required to go back on a ventilator, the possibility of me regaining consciousness would be unlikely.
This is me in the MICU on a ventilator for the second time. The machine is breathing for me and it was actually a terrifying experience for me in that any time I had to cough, a pulmonary technician had to "help" me and it felt like I was drowning. To communicate, I had an old school clipboard. I'm trying to be a bit funny to make the best of a very bad situation. I was in this contraption, catheterized, being fed intravenously, and really unable to do much of anything for almost a week. Yeah, it sucked, but it kept me alive.
 
How’s that for a conversation opener?
Who, in their right mind, would submit to that? I, already had two awful, PTSD-inducing experiences on the ventilator and to hear that submitting to a third time would most certainly end my life was a bit much. Now, bear in mind, that I’ve already come to terms that my time could come and in reality, I’ve lived a great, fulfilling life, but I’m not ready to cash in the chips yet! I’ve got too much yet to do and too many life experiences yet to live, so this is not something I want to hear. Who would? But I’m still in treatment and there are “TRM – Treatment Related Mortality” statistics for a reason.  People really do die because the treatment is rough, let me assure you, but I will survive, I will survi-i-ive (sing it with me!)
One of the entourage was the staff psychologist and we talked about this death thing in real terms. No, I’m not dying and yes, we’re all still fighting this lung crap with a vengeance. No one is giving up. I will say that I refuse to die in a hospital if at all possible and as much as I find my adopted home town of Seattle endearing and welcoming, my home is the cradle of the Wasatch Front in Salt Lake City and I’ve made arrangements with the University of Utah for the disposition of my remains to be used in training our next cadre of medical professionals as well as donating my organs. It just seems like the responsible thing to me.
I don’t need to tell you that the whole ordeal was a really tough one. I was a bit out of it for the rest of the day. I needed to decompress, but how? I shed a tear or twelve, talked it out with family both email and on the phone and had a barrage of questions for the doctor the next day.
I am pleased to say that the doctor clarified a few things. First, it was a conversation that should have happened after the first intubation, but just never did; Second it was a possibility, not a likelihood; and finally, he apologized for springing it on me the way he did.  Afterward, I felt like he was really trying to work with me rather than back me into some corner. I explained my position and we moved back to the pleasantries that we were used to. Bottom line: game on with the lungs. I can do this and we’re all on the same page once again.
So, we’re back to perpetual med dose changes, being inconvenienced by a short electronic leash, and the sound of IV pumps swishing away and making harsh electronic noises – all things that indicate the war on steroid-induced myopathy, lung malfunction, and leukemia continues in earnest. As tiring as that has become over that past several months, I again say, “Game on!
Be well, stay strong, and much love to you all.
Today’s music is from Dan Fogelberg – Phoenix

I have cried too
I have cried too long
I have cried too
I have cried too long
No more sorrow
Got to carry on

Found deep water
Before I'd even learned to swim
Found deep water
Before I'd even learned to swim
Never thought I'd
See the sun again

Once I was a
Once I was a man alone
Once I was a
Once I was a man alone
Now I've found a
Heart to call my home

Like a phoenix
I have risen from the flames
Like a phoenix
I have risen from the flames
No more living
Someone else's dreams

I have cried too
I have cried too long
I have cried too
I have cried too long
No more sorrow
Got to carry on

You almost had me, old lady
You almost tied me down good
You played the lady in waiting
And I waited as long as I could

Too long the songs have been silent
Too long the strings have been still
I never knew what you wanted
And I guess that I never will

Like a phoenix
I have risen from the flames
Like a phoenix
I have risen from the flames
No more living
Someone else's dreams

I have cried too
I have cried too long
I have cried too
I have cried too long
No more sorrow
Got to carry on

Yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah

No comments:

Post a Comment